This Easy Oven Baked Fish With Tomatoes is great for those afraid of fish. The combination of herbs, tomatoes, and garlic in the fish’s baking process infuses flavor and helps to keep it moist while it bakes. It also reduces the chance of it being overcooked. It’s easy and delicious! This fish is delicious with some crusty bread to dip in the tomato sauce and a simple green salad.
This recipe is a reinterpretation of Baked Tilapia With Tomatoes from 2014. It was something I had wanted to try for a while. It was one of my favorite recipes because it is so easy and yet so flavorful. It was in desperate need of new photos. I also wanted to emphasize that you can make it with other ingredients than tilapia.
What type of fish should I use?
This recipe can be used with any mild white fish. You can use halibut or tilapia, pollock or grouper. There are many other types, but these are the most common. Fish with stronger flavors like salmon would likely be too strong for the dish’s flavor.
For my Baked Fish with Tomatoes, I used Cod fillets. Although the cod fillets were twice the price of the tilapia, I have heard horror stories about tilapia farming, so I chose the line-caught certified cod fillets. Although sustainability labeling seafood can be confusing, I find it easier to know that I am at least trying.
BAKING TIME MAY VARY
Fish fillets have many sizes and shapes, which can affect the baking time. You can refer to the instructions on the box for those fish that came in a package. However, using an instant-read thermometer (affiliate link) is best to ensure the fish’s internal temperature reaches 145°F. You will need to bake cod fillets of medium thickness.
EASY OVEN-BAKED FISH WITH TOMATOES
Easy Oven Baked Fish With Tomatoes is baked with a garlic-herb-infused tomato sauce to keep it moist and tender as it bakes.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 15 oz. 1 15 oz.
- 2 cloves minced garlic ($0.16)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil ($0.23)
- 1/2 tsp dried Oregano ($0.05).
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- Freshly cracked pepper ($0.03)
- 1/2 Tbsp of lemon juice ($0.06)
- 1 lb. white fish (four 4oz. fillets) ($4.95)
- Optional garnish of chopped fresh parsley ($0.11)
- Preheat the oven to 400oF Drain any liquid left in the can of diced tomatoes. Mix the tomatoes with olive oil, salt, Oregano and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Spread 1/3 of the tomato mixture into a casserole dish large enough to hold all your fillets. Spread the tomato mixture over the fish fillets. Then, spoon the remaining tomatoes over the top.
- Bake, the fish for 15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 140o. The fish will then easily flake. Serve warm with some chopped fresh parsley.
Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories: 174.23 Kcal Carbohydrates: 6.2 G Protein: 19.58g Fat 7.28g Sodium: 696.55mg Fiber 1.05 g