You might have been following Budget Bytes for some time and know the amazing combination of eggs and hummus. These Hummus Breakfast Tacos will introduce you to the wonders of eggs and hummus. These tacos are rich in flavor, fiber, protein, and flavor. You can also customize the toppings or use items that you already have. Below is a list of topping options.
WHAT I USED TO MAKE MY HUMMUS BREAKFAST TACOS
Today, I made tacos with plain hummus. But I’m tempted to make these tacos again using my favorite four-flavor hummus. Cigar jalapeno sounds great!
I made a simple batch of scrambled eggs. But you can always make scrambled eggs whole-fried or add other ingredients to your scrambled egg mix, such as diced green chilies.
Pickled Red Onions made the Hummus Breakfast Tacos shine. However, sliced green onion would be a good substitute.
Cotija is the traditional white crumbly cheese used to top tacos. However, I didn’t have any, so I used the feta from my stash. Feta is similar to Cotija’s texture and flavor, so this was an easy swap.
CORN OR FLOUR TORTILLAS
Although I am a corn-tortilla-only guy regarding tacos, there was something about the hummus that made me crave the soft flour tortillas. This is why I don’t believe there should be any rules regarding food. You can eat what you like. However, you wish. 😉
A BRILLIANT BREAKFAST TACO TOPPING TIP
These are just a few of the other great taco toppings:
- Protein: Instead of hummus, try black beans, refried beans, sauteed bacon, or chorizo.
- Cheese: Cheddar and eggs are a great combination, so this would be my next choice!
- Vegetables: Jalapenos, green onions, diced tomatoes and sauteed bell pepper. Avocado, thinly sliced Radish, pico De Gallo.
- Sauces: Lime Crema, hot sauce (Cholula would make an awesome), salsa and guacamole. Enchilada Sauce, Buffalo sauce.
HUMMUS BREAKFAST TACO
Hummus Breakfast Tacos can be a quick, easy and nutritious breakfast option high in protein and fiber. They will keep you full until the end of the day. You can customize the toppings!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 2 tacos each
- 8 small tortillas ($0.80)
- 2 Tbsp butter ($0.12)
- 8 large eggs ($2.00)
- One teaspoon of salt and pepper ($0.05).
- 1 cup hummus (£1.50)
- 1/4 bunch cilantro (0.20)
- 1/4 cup pickled red onion ($0.07)
- 1 oz. 1 oz.
- Toast the tortillas in a dry skillet on medium heat or an open flame over gas until golden brown.
- Mix the eggs in a bowl. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- When the butter has melted and is foaming, add the eggs. The eggs should be gently mashed but not over-stimulated until they are set and moist. Season the eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- The skillet should be taken off the heat. Now, make the tacos. Spread 2 Tbsp of hummus on each tortilla. Next, add one egg-worth worth of scrambled eggs. Finally, top each tortilla with your preferred toppings (cilantro or pickled red onions and a pinch of crumbled cheddar cheese). Serve immediately
Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories: 409.2 Kilocalories Protein: 18.65 G Fat: 22.05 G Sodium: 571.75mg Fiber: 4.88 G