HELLO, NEW FAVORITE! Sorry for the caps, but this Mediterranean Coleslaw is my new favorite! It’s so freaking delicious. It has a coleslaw (shredded carrot and cabbage) as a base and a lemony dressing. This is a great side dish for potlucks and dinners.
What is COLESLAW MIX?
You can buy bagged “coleslaw mixture” in almost all grocery stores in the U.S. This is simply a mixture of shredded green cabbage, carrots and other ingredients. Although I don’t often use convenience products such as this, coleslaw mix is very convenient and usually very affordable. It also doesn’t leave me without half a head of cabbage leftover.
You will need six cups of loosely packed shredded cabbage and one shredded carrot if you want to use fresh cabbage.
MEDITERRANEAN COLESLAW: WHAT TO SERVE
This slaw would be a wonderful side dish for burgers, particularly my Mediterranean Turkey Burgers, Sheet Pan Greek Chicken with Vegetables or Beef Kofta Meatballs. You can also make this part of a vegetarian meal with Herby Potato Salad and some Hummus.
You could put this coleslaw in a wrap and add some Garlic Marinated Chicken to make a sandwich. You can also top the Mediterranean Coleslaw by adding Garlic Butter Shrimp to make it a meal-time salad.
WHAT ARE THE LEFTOVERS?
The cabbage will wilt if it is not refrigerated, just like any other coleslaw. This coleslaw was delicious leftovers for two days. It became a bit too limp for me after that. To ensure that the dressing and flavors are evenly distributed, you will need to stir it every time.
This vibrant and fresh Mediterranean Coleslaw is dressed with a light lemony dressing (no mayo!). A variety of colorful and crunchy vegetables.
Author: Beth – Budget Bytes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Servings: Each cup contains 1 cup
LEMON GARLIC VINAIGRETTE
- 1/4 cup olive oil ($0.42)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice ($0.18)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder ($0.05).
- 1 tsp dried Oregano ($0.10)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper ($0.02)
- 16 oz. Coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage, carrots) ($1.69)
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced ($0.75)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley ($0.23)
- 1 2.25oz. Can sliced black olives ($1.50)
- 1/2 12oz. jar banana pepper rings ($1.00)
- 2 oz. 2 oz.
- First, prepare the lemon garlic vinaigrette. Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic powder in a bowl. Add salt, pepper, and Oregano. Mix the ingredients in a bowl or jar. Or, shake the jar until it is well combined. Leave the dressing aside.
- Chop the parsley and dice the bell pepper. In a large bowl, combine the coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, black olives, banana peppers, feta and parsley).
- Toss the ingredients in the bowl with the vinaigrette. Let the slaw rest for 15 minutes before you serve it. Stir the vinaigrette one more time before serving.
HOW TO MAKE MEDITERRANEAN COLESLAW
- First, prepare the lemon garlic vinaigrette. Combine 1/4 cup olive oil with 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste, 1 teaspoon dried Oregano, 1/4 tablespoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix until well combined. Or close the jar and shake to combine. Leave the dressing aside.
- Slice 1/2 of red bell pepper, and chop 1/4 cup fresh parsley. Drain the black olives. One 16oz. Bag coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage, carrots and potatoes) is added to a large bowl with the bell peppers, parsley and black olives. 2 oz. Crumbled feta.
- The lemon garlic vinaigrette can be poured over the salad ingredients.
- Mix all ingredients until well combined. The vinaigrette should be added to the salad. Allow the salad to sit for approximately 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Then, toss the salad again before serving.