I used to make Nature’s Candy years ago. It was a delightfully sweet and savoury side dish from the oven that was almost considered a dessert. This amazing flavour combination inspired me to make a sheet-pan dinner. I added sweet Italian sausage and red onion to give it a savoury twist. Finally, I added some fall-inspired herbs. This Oven Roasted Autumn Medley contains all the best flavours in one sheet pan.
HOW TO SERVE Oven Roasted AUTUMN MEDLEY
This sheet pan mix was served with mashed potatoes. But you can also serve the roasted sausage, vegetables and other ingredients over a bed of greens to make a fall-inspired salad. You can also serve it as-is with some butter and a piece of crusty bread. 🙂
CAN I USE A DIFFERENT SAUCE?
You can substitute sweet Italian sausage for maple or apple-flavoured turkey sausage. You can use any sausage that has fall flavours.
OTHER VEGETABLE OPTIONS
You can also change the vegetables in this dish. You can substitute the sweet potato for butternut squash or acorn squash or add pumpkin. You can use any of the hardy, sweet winter squashes. Another great option is the carrots with their subtle sweetness!
TIPS TO ROAST VEGETABLES
When roasting vegetables in an oven, one of your goals is to achieve nice caramelization around the edges. Caramelized edges taste sweeter and impart a deeper, richer flavour. You want to get that nice browning effect, so make sure you don’t crowd the baking sheet. You should only have one layer of vegetables. If they are piled on top of one another, steam can get trapped. The vegetables will steam in their juices and not get that caramelization.
If you want to make this recipe twice, ensure that you use two sheet pans.
OVEN-ROASTED AUTUMN METALLEY
Oven Roasted Autumn Medley features sweet and savoury sheet-pan meals with sausage, sweet potatoes, and apples.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 red onion (0.44)
- 1 lb. sweet potato ($1.07)
- 2 apples ($0.76)
- 8 oz. sweet Italian sausage ($1.40)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil ($0.32)
- 1 tsp dried Basil ($0.10)
- 1 teaspoon dried Sage ($0.10)
- 1 tsp dried rosemary (0.10)
- 1/2 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper ($0.02)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (optional) ($0.11).
- Preheat the oven to 400oF Core and chop the apples into 1-inch pieces. The sweet potato and red onions can be sliced into 1-inch pieces.
- On a large baking sheet measuring 9×13 inches, place the chopped apples, onions, sweet potatoes, and the Italian sausage links. Sprinkle the olive oil on top. Then add the Basil, rosemary, salt and freshly cracked pepper. Toss everything until coated with oil and herbs.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the sausage to a cutting board with tongs after 20 minutes. Cut the sausage into medallions and then return them to the baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the oven.
- Continue roasting the autumn medley for 20 minutes or until it reaches the desired browning level. After roasting, garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories : 671.2 Kilocalories : 77.65 G Protein: 23.05g Fat: 32.4g Sodium : 1746.95mg Fiber: 13.g