Creamy mushroom sauces make my knees weak. Anyone else? This chicken is simply a vessel for the creamy, garlicky, and delicious mushroom sauce. The crispy onions? The crispy onions are just the icing on top! Creamy Mushroom Chicken and Crispy Onions is a simple, delicious dinner that you can customize with countless options. This one is a great recipe to keep in your pocket. Because you’ll be using it again and again. 😉
What are “CRISPY ONIONS?”
I don’t know how widespread crispy fried onions are outside of the U.S., so I wanted to explain this product and provide a link to it briefly. These are deep-fried onions you can buy in a box, and they’re often used to top the Green Bean Casserole, a classic Thanksgiving recipe. They are crispy and a little salty and add a great texture and flavour to the creamy mushroom sauce. The French only make them. However, you may be able to find generic versions at some grocery shops.
Can I use chicken thighs?
Yes, boneless and skinless chicken legs will work well in this recipe. They are already thin and flat, so they will not need the same pounding as the chicken breasts. Because they take a longer cooking time, I don’t recommend bone-in chicken breasts or thighs for this recipe.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE THE MUSHROOMS
Not a mushroom lover? You don’t have to be a mushroom lover? You can also make this recipe with spinach. You can make the sauce with the mushrooms out of the garlic. After the chicken has been removed, add the garlic to the skillet. Then deglaze the skillet using the broth. Stir in the cream and simmer the sauce for a while to thicken it. Then add the fresh spinach and stir until the spinach is wilted. Add the chicken to the saucepan and heat through.
MAKE IT DAIRY-FREE
You can use full-fat coconut milk in this recipe instead of heavy cream. Use full-fat coconut milk from a can and not the carton. This is because it is meant to replace dairy milk. Shake the can before measuring to ensure that the liquid is evenly distributed. You can also substitute butter with coconut oil or any other cooking oil.
CREAMY MUSHROOM CHICKEN & CRISPY ONIONS
Creamy Mushroom Chicken with crispy onions and delicious crispy mushrooms is a quick weeknight meal that’s easy to customize!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 8 oz. baby Bella mushrooms ($1.69)
- 2 breasts of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approximately 1.3 lbs. total) ($5.63)
- 1 pinch of salt ($0.02)
- 1 teaspoon pepper ($0.02)
- 2 Tbsp butter divided ($0.26)
- 4 cloves of garlic ($0.32)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth ($0.07)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (0.39)
- 1/4 cup crispy fried onions ($0.37)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (optional garnish). ($0.05
- Rinse the mushrooms and cut them. Place the sliced mushrooms aside.
- Place the breasts of the chicken on a cutting board. Cover with plastic wrap. You can gently pound the chicken with a rolling pin or mallet until it is about 3/4-inch thick. Each chicken breast should be cut into two pieces. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat one tablespoon of butter in a large skillet. When the butter has melted, heat the skillet on medium. Once the skillet is hot, add the chicken to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes on each side. To keep the chicken warm, transfer it to a plate.
- The second tablespoon of butter and the sliced mushrooms should be added to the skillet. Sauté the mushrooms in the butter until they are dry and their water evaporates. Sauté the minced garlic for another minute.
- Stir the chicken broth into a skillet. Stir in the heavy cream.
- Place the chicken in a skillet. Spread the mushroom cream sauce on each piece. Let the chicken simmer in the sauce for 5 minutes or until reduced slightly. Serve the chicken with crispy fried onions.
Serving Size: 1 serving Calories: 369.8 Kilocalories: 5.25 G Protein: 36.13 G Fat: 22.4g Sodium: 345.45 M Fiber: 0.65g